Author Topic: 1/4 scale P-47 Thunderbolt  (Read 36302 times)

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
Re: 1/4 scale P-47 Thunderbolt
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »

Well, guys, at long last I have a canopy!   Larry Katona sent it off last Saturday and it arrived today.
It looks just about perfect, so I can now trim it to fit, mask off and paint it.   I can now make the bullet-proof panel to fit in front of the gunsight, fit the gunsight, pilot and all the other bits and pieces.
Then it's ckeckout time.   Most important is the CG.   I don't foresee a problem with this as the model seems to balance pretty well as is and the canopy and cockpit bits are close to, or on, the CG.
Time will tell.   More when I have done all this lot.   Pictures included (not very good, but I am not the world's best photographer!)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:23:33 PM by Rick Powers »

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »

Another quick update showing the canopy (masked and sprayed silver - OD to come when it's in place permanently) sitting in the correct position.   There is a gap at the back which has to be fixed and then, when the pilot, etc. has been added and the bullet-proof panel fitted, the canopy will be screwed into place.   Making it slide was considered, but it has proved more than it is worth - to me, at least.
Then comes the good bit - CG checks along with checking everything else.   This will take some time with a model this big, so the first flight may have to wait until the new year.   We will see how it goes.
I will post again when the model is complete.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:19:36 PM by Rick Powers »

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »

A couple more pictures showing the completed cockpit with pilot, gunsight and bullet-proof screen.   The canopy has been drilled for screw fitting and should be fitted this week, prior to painting OD.   Then it's finished!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:13:53 PM by Rick Powers »

jeff naul

• Regestered Member
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
Hey deak looking good!

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
The canopy has now been sprayed OD.   No photos this time as it doesn't look any different from last time.   
The belly pan had a quick coat of matt varnish to test compatibility.   There was some slight reaction with a few bubbles here and there, so I will have to come up with a different coating.   We will do some more experiments before committing to the whole model.

jeff naul

• Regestered Member
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
My Cowl and canop showed up last thursday :) geez the bird gets big when you start putting parts on it.

THE COLONEL

• Regestered Member
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »
Good Day DEAK !
Looks good,,,

Any update on the making ?
The Colonel

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
I hope to be able to spray the final varnish topcoat sometime this week.   Then it's down to the final checks and setting up.
So, I would think that the maiden flight should take place sometime in the next two or three weeks.
Keep your fingers crossed!

THE COLONEL

• Regestered Member
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2012, 02:20:23 AM »
Oooooh,

I would think that the maiden flight should take place sometime in the next two or three weeks.

I guess you have resolve the (varnish test compatibility) then ?

That sound very good ...
Looking foward to that MAIDEN for shure with photographies setplates & a video view soon ...

Keep up the good work,
will look amazing I`m shure !

Thanks for the sharing ...
Cheers!
The Colonel

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »
Yes, the test was OK.   I am using polyurethane clear varnish, sprayed on.   It should be done this week if time permits, and then it's setting up time.  More when this is complete.

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 07:12:37 PM »

Just one picture to show the model together for the first time.   The canopy is still masked as the final varnish coat has not yet been applied.   When this has been done, I will post more.
I had more pics, but the website kept timing me out, so, presumably, they took up too much memory.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:10:15 PM by Rick Powers »

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »
The CG check has been done and, as I expected, it was too far forward.   I will fix this by putting the main servo NiMh (6V 3000 ma/h) in a box next to the tailwheel with thick cables up to the power box.   
This will put the CG at 25% MAC which has been fine with all the previous P-47s I have flown.
Varnishing is next, followed by checking out all the systems.   More soon.

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
We (Bill and I) have tried the varnish trick with two different tries on the bottom of each wing without much success.   The finish was patchy, even after the application of a tack cloth, so I think that I will leave the finish as is.   The paint should be fine with gas fuel (not so with glow ditto) and the wings will be flattened down with wire wool to give (I hope) a satisfactory finish.   If it's not perfect, it's underneath, so will not show.
I hope to be able to do this this week before setting up the model ready for the maiden flight.

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »
Sorry it's been so long, guys, but the model is almost ready for the test flights.   Everything has been checked out except the landing gear.   For this check I need the wings connected and held prior to airing up the system, so cannot do it myself.   Hopefully, I will be able to get this check done early next week (Gunsmoke over the weekend precludes any assistance then) and then wait for a decent day, weatherwise, to take the model up to the field (SVF) for engine checks.   If all goes well, the maiden will follow.

Deak

• Team Pilot
  • Team Powers
  • Regestered Member
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2012, 07:50:04 AM »
With Bill Powers, Bill Pelletiers and Rick's help, I managed to get the landing gear checked out last night.   The main gear works flawlessly (even at 20 PSI) but there was a problem with the gear door cylinders.   Both of them leaked, but, strangely enough, only in one direction.   Also, it was noticed that the bracket holding the linkages for the upper gear door would foul the top of the lower door on compression.   This is an easy fix, but I will have to source another pair of  cylinders.   3/4 in stroke items are a bit thin on the ground, so I may have to alter the geometry to accept a 1in stroke version.   There is a company in Alabama who do 3/4 in cylinders, but it appears to be a one man band (call between 7pm and 10pm Central) so I will give them a try.   Failing that, it's a change to 1in.   I will post more when this is sorted out.